Saturday, May 30, 2009

Inspiration

No quotes this week. Just a few lines from a movie.

Earlier this week I watched Under the Tuscan Sun and what resonated with me the most was this exchange between Diane Lane's character and her Italian realtor:


Frances: Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you. Like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. (at times I have and still do feel as though this experience is killing me) When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly. You shouldn't have to wake up day after day after that, trying to understand how in the world you didn't know. (bingo) The light just never went on, you know. I must have known, of course, but I was too scared to see the truth. Then fear just makes you so stupid.
Martini: No, it's not stupid, Signora Mayes. L'amore e cieco.
Frances: Oh, love is blind. Yeah, we have that saying too.
Martini: Everybody has that saying because it's true everywhere.

So you might think that this is an odd exchange to choose for inspiration but if that character can find happiness via a talented script writer and a multi million dollar budget to produce the movie then I know I can too.

Yes, what you are reading is sarcasm. I just liked the realness of what the character says.

It resonated with me.

I have racked my brain trying to pinpoint the moment when it all went wrong. Even when he told me his moment I still look back and can't see it because he was still my loving husband. Because he never told me what he felt and surely the person that promises to be with you for the rest of your life would come to you with those things.

But they don't.

And I am not dead which means I have to just keep livin*

(*bonus points if you know what movie that is from, double bonus points if you know who has a production company by the same name)

3 comments:

  1. Dazed and Confused?!?! I think Matthew M.'s character says it....

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is correct! It is also his production company.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh damn, she beat me to it. I get points too, knew both :) try again. boo the deanfamily05.

    ReplyDelete