Thursday, May 14, 2009

The Greatest Insult

In the last 3 months the greatest insult wasn't finding out about the affair or having my husband give up on me, on us. It was a single statement he made the night we moved the furniture so that the carpets could be cleaned.

That night I asked, I begged, for him to tell me why I wasn't worth fighting for. Why when I was willing to get past the affair, give him children, never buy a horse or speak of horses again, why was I not worth it? He said that he couldn't answer that. That I shouldn't think of myself as not worth fighting for.

Then he made a comment I don't even think he expected to say. It would cut me right to my core. He said:

I don't think you would make a good mom.

I asked how he knew that. He said he just didn't think I would.

I asked if he knew he would make a great father? He said he didn't.

I said so you think you should be a father; with your cheating and lying, those are good fatherly characteristics? Yet, my faithfulness, willingness to forgive, unconditional love...these are things that would make me a bad mother.

He said that I always said I wouldn't make a good mom. I said yes, I have my doubts but ask any parent if they think they are doing a good job and they would probably tell you they have their doubts. That every day they worry they are going to screw up their child.

Was there anything I had done when we were with his nephews that made him think I wouldn't be a good mother? No.

Did his family think I wouldn't? Surely his sister wouldn't have asked me to be godmother to 2 of the boys and a potential legal guardian for all 3 if she thought I wouldn't make a good mother. No.

But he didn't. He didn't think I was worth fighting for. Maybe it is because he didn't think I would be a good mother or maybe it was because he just doesn't love me anymore. But its insulting all the same.

2 comments:

  1. I don't even know what to say... Losing a mother and being a mother... no one has the right to say a thing like that. I had no idea what it would be like to be a mom or if I would be any good at. What I can say for sure, now having a child of my own, is that being a mother has been the greatest gift in my entire life! I would never trade being a mom for anything. I pray that this insult would not have an effect on whether you one day have a child. Don't let him rob you of that opportunity, never! Mothering a child is too precious and sweet; don't let him take that away form you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...and this is coming from the guy that needs you to give him the passwords to his own credit cards. hmph.

    ReplyDelete