Saturday, January 30, 2010

Up in the Air

I went to see Clooney's latest film, Up in the Air, today.

It was quintessential Clooney. Lots of self deprecating humor.

It was incredibly depressing.

I LOVED it.

Maybe because I travel a lot? Maybe because I am apprehensive about being in a relationship again. Maybe because I don't seem to make smart decisions when it comes to guys...

Maybe because his desire to remain free of attachments resonates with this new me.

Maybe because I was once the overeager, life will go exactly my way because I planned it that way, 23 year old who tries to revolutionize their business practices.

But this exchange? It might just be one of the best in recent history.

Natalie Keener: Hungry much?
Ryan Bingham: Our business expense allots forty dollars each for dinner. I plan on grabbing as many miles as I can.
Natalie Keener: Okay, you got to fill me in on the miles thing. What is that about? You're talking about, like, frequent flyer miles?
Ryan Bingham: You really want to know?
Natalie Keener: I'm dying to know.
Ryan Bingham: I don't spend a nickel, if I can help it, unless it somehow profits my mileage account.
Natalie Keener: So, what are you saving up for? Hawaii? South of France?
Ryan Bingham: It's not like that. The miles are the goal.
Natalie Keener: That's it? You're saving just to save?
Ryan Bingham: Let's just say that I have a number in mind and I haven't hit it yet.
Natalie Keener: That's a little abstract. What's the target?
Ryan Bingham: I'd rather not...
Natalie Keener: Is it a secret target?
Ryan Bingham: It's ten million miles.
Natalie Keener: Okay. Isn't ten million just a number?
Ryan Bingham: Pi's just a number.
Natalie Keener: Well, we all need a hobby. No, I- I- I don't mean to belittle your collection. I get it. It sounds cool.
Ryan Bingham: I'd be the seventh person to do it. More people have walked on the moon. Natalie Keener: Do they throw you a parade?
Ryan Bingham: You get lifetime executive status. You get to meet the chief pilot, Maynard Finch.
Natalie Keener: Wow.
Ryan Bingham: And they put your name on the side of a plane.
Natalie Keener: Men get such hardons from putting their names on things. You guys don't grow up. It's like you need to pee on everything.


Seriously. Such a boy thing to have a desire to pee on everything. Even if they choose not to go...they still want you to not do the things you have talked about.

F that.

2 comments:

  1. I loved that movie too. It was sad but it was realistic and that's something I found almost comforting. Very realistic and relatable characters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i kind of have a man-crush on clooney. he's one cool cat! very good, but depressing movie - and even worse to watch it from the very first row. my neck still hurts!

    ReplyDelete