Friday, December 10, 2010

Wisdom

Wisdom. What was the wisest decision you made this year, and how did it play out?

Admittedly I do not always make the best decisions.

Actually, I do. Generally the first decision I make is the right one but for whatever reason I tend to go back on that gut feeling and proceed in the opposite direction. Why? I have no idea. But its what I do.

I did this with MX.

My initial gut feeling after finding out about the affair was to walk away. But then I decided I wanted to stay and fight. Looking back he was already gone. He had left a long time ago and had I of stuck to my guns and walked away when I found out I would have saved myself a lot of additional heartache.

But I didn't.

I've done this with B. More times than I can count. But that story isn't quite over yet, simply redefined.

But the single wisest decision I have made was one that was decided in 2009 and enacted in 2010.

It was the decision to come home.

When we moved to KC in 1993 I didn't want to go. I had to go because my mom was moving to be closer to her brother after her divorce. I remember that year that IA was named the 3rd best place to raise a family...MO was named 47th. I was livid.

It was never home. I made great friends. But it was never home.

I always said that I lived in KC but I was from IA. Because it wasn't home.

After I found out above the affair the first thing I told my sister was that I was coming home. I started spending most of my weekends back there. It just felt right.

It took a long time to find a job that would allow me to live in the state I loved. But finally, finally, I was recruited for a position that allowed me to live and work from home. It requires me to travel, which I love, and I got to stay in the industry I have grown to love over the past 6 years.

I've been able to get involved. Reconnect with old friends, make new.

It is simply the best decision I could make, for me.

I am home.

3 comments:

  1. I am completely in agreement that you made a "wise" move. Why not return to your roots? Especially at at time when you were trying to figure out what you wanted out of life. It was great, seeing as your soon to be ex was NOT in your hometown. That is a problem I have had to deal with this past year. I could easily run into my husband and his gf at home, so I sort of fled for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too think it was a wise decision. You've got an amazing support system there. Those people probably know you better than anyone else. I've occasionally thrown around the idea of moving home too. Something about those roots...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Making decisions for YOU is huge. This sounds like the best choice for you and allowed you to move forward. And there is ALWAYS something about home. Isn't therE?

    ReplyDelete